When it comes to holiday toy shopping, there is nothing more exciting than finding that special gift for that special child. Unfortunately, there are times when dangerous toys make their way to the market. As a consumer, it’s important to become familiar these toys. You don’t want to purchase something that could put a child’s safety at risk.
Here are some of the many things you can do from a safety perspective when buying toys this holiday season:
- Learn more about the toys from past years that were considered unsafe and/or recalled for any reason
- Pay close attention to any warnings and age recommendations, as this may push you away from buying a particular toy
- Learn more about the design and manufacturing process before making a purchase, as you could come across something that keeps you from purchasing
- Always be on alert, as toy companies aren’t going to tell you everything about its products
- Get serious about toy safety, as it only takes one safety hazard to cause a serious injury, illness or even fatality
As the holiday season closes in, a large number of publications will share information on which toys are safest and most dangerous for 2017.
If your child is injured by a toy this holiday season, don’t hesitate to seek immediate medical attention. You want to do whatever it takes to treat the injury or illness in a timely manner.
Once you have this taken care of, you can learn more about the reason for the accident and your legal rights for potentially receiving compensation from the negligent party.
Source: World Against Toys Causing Harm, “Products Liability,” accessed Oct. 11, 2017