Certain electronic cigarettes typically use what is called a 18650 lithium ion battery. Slightly larger than a AA battery, this lithium-ion battery has a stainless steel cover that can withstand the force of outdoor power equipment. Thus, it is meant more for power tools than for devices that users put in their mouths. Michigan residents should know that these batteries have led to hundreds of e-cigarette explosions.
E-cigarettes are very popular in Michigan and elsewhere, but they can also be extremely hazardous. Over the past decade, thousands of e-cigarette mods and/or batteries have suddenly exploded while someone was using them or storing them in their pockets, causing severe burns, shattered teeth and broken bones.
E-cigarettes have long posed issues for the public. One of the most significant problems has been the risk of the lithium batteries exploding. While this has been a known defect for some time, there are still explosions happening after several years of concerns.
Michigan residents are probably aware that there are risks involved in the use of e-cigarettes. These devices, also known as vape pens, operate on a lithium battery and are used to vaporize nicotine for inhaling. There are stores that allow customers to "create a cig," getting the right battery, accessories and other items that go into making an e-cigarette kit.
Vape pens or e-cigarettes have become mainstream throughout Michigan, but malfunctions of the battery-operated devices can prove fatal. A recent out-of-state case illustrates the severity of injuries that defective e-cigarettes can deliver. The explosion of a vape pen caused cerebral infarction and herniation after debris dissected a 24-year-old man's carotid artery. He reportedly died in a hospital two days after the explosion.
Electronic cigarette devices, such as vape pens, have become a routine sight in Michigan, but a growing record of fires and injuries attributed to the devices has prompted authorities to raise the alarm. A state-level fire marshal in another state told the media that the explosion of a vape pen killed one man. The marshal also highlighted another case that involved a man who suffered serious burns after his e-cigarette device blew up in his pocket.